Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Design Career

Ever since I could remember, I had always been passionate with art, specifically music and design. My mother enrolled in music and art course since I was in kindergarten and it has become a big part in my life. I do enjoy other school subjects like science and maths, but I just couldn't bring myself to imagine having a future (career) in those area. As art isn't very respected in my home country, when I entered year 11, I begged my parents to send me overseas to pursue my art, but they told me that I was too young and that I should wait until I finish high school. However, when I finished high school, I suddenly got cold feet and the thought of being overseas by myself scared me. Instead, I enrolled in a university in my home town and studied politics. But after undergoing politics for a year, I had enough. My art passion resurfaced and again, I begged my parents to let me go overseas. Luckily, my parents were very supportive and they said that they knew I wouldn't have succeeded in politics anyway.

So I began searching for schools through education agents all around. And I finally decided to go to Australia. I was offered a few universities by my agent, and one of them was UNSW. I read through the booklet, and found out that UNSW has a few design course. The reason I chose Industrial Design was because not only it has design class, but also commerce and ergonomics. And it also consists of hand-drawn designs, model making and computing designs. And I believe that those features will help me in my future life as a designer. And I chose UNSW because it is very well known for its quality of university, teachers and student.

I have seen my parents' friends who are involved in a design career, and I have to say that I would prefer working in a small firm rather a massive mass producing companies. Because I can see them interacting with their clients and producing a design piece that matters to the clients, and not just economically valued designs in thousands of quantities. I would like to be able to connect my designs to my clients and it will be a piece created not just by me, but also by my client.

1 comment:

  1. Your journey in pursuing a career in art is commendable. I like how you had the aptitude and courage to chose and strive as a designer against your parents expectations and by moving to Australia to do so. This ability will strive your success as a designer in the future.

    ReplyDelete