Monday, August 2, 2010

David Kelley on Human-Centered Design

It's actually really hard to believe that this video was made in 2002, seeing how innovative and futuristic those designs were. All the designs were each heavily influenced by humanity, all of the designs were meant to ease human in their activities. Kelley has proven that designs are quite human centered in a sense, and that the presentation of the product itself is very important.

Prada - Liquid Crystal
I was very impressed by the changing room idea, and I believe that it will become a pioneer in the fashion world. By using the scanner and posting the information of the item on screen, it will help customers knowing the item. It's also great that they implemented the scanner inside the changing room, with a touch screen option. And along with that, the idea of having the liquid crystal mirror was truly creative. That way, customers can actually know every detail of what is it that they're buying.

Museum - Screen
The moving screen inside the museum was a fairly simple idea, but I believe that it adds enjoyments for visitors for the museum to see other people's thoughts, and also speaking their own thoughts.

Cubicle
This was another project I found very interesting. When I saw the cubicle what came to my mind was that it was going to make working more fun. And I believe that a person's mood very much affect the way they work. So having a happy worker is much better then a grumpy worker. And the withering flowers are just icing on the cake.

Spyfish
I don't like diving, but I love the beauty of nature. And when I saw the spyfish, i feel like now I don't have to watch discovery channel so much anymore. I think it is a great design for people like me, who would like to see the life inside the water, without having to dive. It also gives a new option for people to enjoy life underwater without having to disturb or pollute the actual ecosystem.

It is very refreshing to see a designer such as Kelly who, not only has a great sense of humour, but also cares for the environment. Design not only needs to be aesthetically well made, but it also has to function well for humanity, and I think that Kelley has set an example of how to make good working designs. And it opens our eyes to the many possibilities that can be made into designs by linking the designs to the changing and different needs for people from different places and times.

No comments:

Post a Comment